This is one of our personal favorite recipes! It’s essentially a healthier version of a burrito, and the following recipe is good enough to serve 4-6 people… or even save leftovers for the rest of the week! Here’s a recipe video, and the directions are also listed below.
2–3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
3 bell peppers, any color, sliced
1 large red onion, sliced
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon taco seasoning
Salt and pepper
1 jar salsa
3 cups cooked brown rice
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can corn
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 lime, sliced into wedges
Optional: Avocado slices
1. Preheat oven to 400˚F/200˚C.
2. Line a baking sheet with foil, or use a silicone baking mat! I prefer the silicone baking mats because they are reusable.
3. Place the chicken, peppers, and onions on the baking sheet and drizzle with oil.
4. Sprinkle the taco seasoning evenly over both sides of the chicken breasts.
5. Salt and pepper the peppers and onions, tossing to coat.
6. Top each chicken breast with a generous pour of salsa.
7. Bake in a preheated oven for 25 minutes.
8. Rest chicken for 10 minutes, before slicing into strips.
9. Add a base of brown rice. Top each with a scoop of black beans, corn, additional salsa, cheddar cheese, cooked peppers and onions, and sliced chicken. Garnish with a lime wedge (and cilantro, optional)!